Cuckoo Buds 3 Column

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Cranberry Orange Bread (no egg yolks)

One of our favorite sweet breads during the holidays is my Cranberry Orange Bread.  It took me countless attempts to get this recipe darn near perfect!  I'm talking a couple of years, honestly.  No yolks is the reason.  Since I'm allergic to egg yolks, baking can be a problem.  Without boring you to no end, just believe me when I say, "It is finally fit for a King!"  At least my King, and Princes, and Princesses!
I serve this all year when we have the desire, but during the holidays it's a must!  We have it for company, give it as gifts with homemade jams, or just because.  I love scratch cooking and baking, so for me, it's no big deal to get a loaf of bread going!  I love, love, love cooking and baking!

I'm taking a couple of loaves to my little wee ones when I visit later this week.  Kids love this bread, little kids, big kids, all kids!  It's as yummy as it looks here - big, scrumptious, juicy cranberries, orange zest and pulp in the juice - it's so good just like this, or with a little butter, or cream cheese - oh my - mmmmm, really good!

Like I said it took many years and lots of failed attempts, but I finally got it down, and I'd love to share it with you!

Cranberry Orange Bread
2 cups flour **                             1 cup orange juice*
1 cup oats                                   1 Tbsp orange zest
1 cup sugar                                 1/3 cup oil
1/2 tsp baking soda                      4 egg whites
1/2 tsp baking powder                  1 cup chopped
1/2 tsp salt                                      cranberries***
***If you cannot find any fresh, or don't have any frozen on hand, purchase the dried ones (I've used Ocean Spray brand) and soak them for about an hour or so in warm water.  Drain, chop and use as above. 
Measure a heaping cup of whole berries, frozen or fresh, and rinse - leave in colander until noted below. 
Also - do not thaw frozen berries before rinsing and chopping or they will become a soggy, red mess.
**I use bread flour or King Arthur All Purpose flour.
*I use 1 orange for zest and juice, then fill the cup with regular orange juice.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees, grease and flour bottom of one standard loaf pan or 4 mini loaf pans.

In a large bowl, add all dry ingredients together and mix well.

In a smaller bowl, whisk egg whites.  Add orange juice, zest and oil, and whisk all together.
Add wet ingredients to large bowl of dry ingredients, and stir until well mixed.
Set aside and chop berries in food processor (or chopper if you don't have a food processor) until berries are chopped NOT MINCED.  Add directly to bowl and fold in gently, but thoroughly.  Dough should not be red, just see berries mixed, so don't over mix.
Pour in to pan(s) and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes (45 to 50 minutes for mini pans.)
Allow to cool for 15 minutes in pan, turn out and continue cooling. 
Slice, serve and mmm mmmm enjoy!!
A chunk of Heaven!!!

Just a side note - - - when cranberries come in to the supermarkets, I buy bags and bags of them, and throw them directly in to the freezer.  Don't wash them before hand, don't take them out of the bag, don't put a second bag around them.  Just as you buy them from the grower, they are made to go directly into the freezer, if so desired.  And, do I ever!  Usually 10 bags, if I can find that many!  How long do they last - well I've heard tell that it's that magical one year, like most things.  But this year, I am using my 2009 berries.  I had to make mine last as long as I could because last year my supermarket didn't get many in, and the restaurants got in before I did and well - I have really had to stretch mine.


Fresh cranberries are only available for a few short weeks a year.  Then they are gone again until the following year.  The reason?  Well, besides being the time of year for harvesting them, most are purchased by large companies who dry them, and/or mix them in to the yummy granola and cereal products we love so much, which quite honestly leave precious few for us who love to cook with them fresh, not dried.

Please, if you have any questions, just send me an email, or leave a message hear and I'll do my best to answer.  Cooking is such a joy, so don't struggle with something and get discouraged!

I'd love to know if you've tried this, so drop a note!

Many blessings,
Donna


**My recipes are published, so please respect my hard work with any I list and don't take credit as your own.

No comments:

Post a Comment