Cuckoo Buds 3 Column

Saturday, October 29, 2011

Two of My Favorite Things!

I love cooking and baking!  I always have.  I also do most everything from scratch.  When I learned I was allergic to egg yolks, molds (which includes mushrooms, fermented sauces and the like,) and have terrible reactions to preservatives, along with my Sweeties allergy to beef and his being very lactose intolerant (not even able to cook with milk or cream) over 10 years ago, I have written many of my own recipes for the foods we love and enjoy eating the most.  And yes, it makes going out to eat very difficult!

This year I was introduced to baking sour dough bread by our oldest son.  Since then, I haven't bought a loaf of bread, except one loaf of Rye (when mine didn't come out right!) and hamburger buns on occasion.

Here's what I wanted to share!!!
Beautiful Burger Buns (KAF recipe)

These are made with a recipe from King Arthur Flour (an employee owned corporation) and they came out fantabulous!!!  The only change I made was I used 2 egg whites and discarded the yolks.  I will be making these buns a lot for hamburgers and sandwiches.  I may try making them in to sandwich rolls next time - mmmm.  They were so soft and light, but not full of air holes like the store brand.

Another of my, well our, favorite things is watching  hummingbirds fly around our yard.  We have two feeders up from April until the cold sets in here, usually between October and November.  We feed hundreds of birds going through a minimum of 1/2 gallon of sugar water every day! 

My sweetie replaced my camera today and I took a couple of quick photos this evening of our birds.  I'd love to share with you how clear this came out!  I will be taking many, many more in the next couple of weeks as we are coming to the end of our bird season.  This is through our living room window, and it is tinted for the sun - but I was so excited they were coming out so clearly. 

I will get out and watch them from my bedroom patio next week - we're supposed to get some rain in a few days and we literally have 50 or more birds trying to feed at any one time.  We bought feeders that allow birds to stop and perch while they feed, and when it's raining or very foggy, they will sit 2 to a perch and share, with others waiting their turns sitting on the fence rails, the bushes, atop of the poles and just flying around to have a drink of nectar.

Thank you for taking a look at my bread and our birds!  I wish you a very blessed Sunday!

Blessings, Donna

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh...those buns look fantastic! I bet they taste even better.

    Look at all of those hummingirds. I have never, ever seen so many feeding all at one time. I will have to look for a new feeder next spring. What a fun photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are wonderful looking buns! I love to bake too...it is one of my favorite things to do. I can't imagine how hard it must be to be on such a restricted menu.

    We love the hummers too but did not have a single one this year. I don't know what happened as we always had them before.

    Hope you have a wonderful Sunday- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Donna,
    Home made breath is so fantastic. I was in awe at how much hummingbird food you go through. I can't believe how many hummers are feeding all at once. The ones around here don't like to share so much and are quite territorial. Happy and blessed Sunday.

    xo,
    Danielle

    ReplyDelete