Cuckoo Buds 3 Column

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Hermits

No, not Herman's Hermits!  No, not the Hermits who go off and live alone and not be around anyone!  Cookies?  Really?
Yes, really!  This is a New England tasty treat, and used to be the most favorite cookie in America!  Hmmm - then why hadn't I heard of this tasty delight?  Probably because my Granny was French, and this is definitely is not!  Granny was the cook I grew up with and helped me form my love for feeding my family and friends, of good food, and great recipes. 

My Sweetie, on the other hand, grew up in Massachusetts, A New England state, and asked me if I'd make him this tasty treat. He preferred bars, as you can see above, but can also be dropped as cookies.

This recipe is the old fashioned one with molasses.  It's dark, spicy, dense, and fruity.  My next batch will have more dates, more raisins, more pecans, and I'm throwing in some dried apricot or mangoes, too!  I went light on the fruit this time, as he didn't remember having much in them.  His only comment besides "Mm Yum" was "could use a bit more fruit."  No, you think!?

Another tidbit - it's told these used to keep sailors well fed during long voyages because of the fruits, nuts and molasses in these tasty treats.  Don't tell the kids they're good for them, tell them they're for grown ups!  They'll eat them before you get them in the cookie jar.  Oh, and if they do last, each day they get better!  Guess that's why they were a staple while sailing across the oceans!

I will make one more batch before posting the recipe for you.  Because of the not using yolks in my recipes, I need to tweak this a tad before I publish it for you to try!  Next week!  And, I'll make both bars and cookies!

Blessings,
Donna

8 comments:

  1. Those sound terrific. I sure enjoyed the history of them too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh- Looking forward to this recipe. My Mother used to make a similar bar cookie. xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow, these look delicious! And I lived in Massachusetts for a year and never heard of them--can you believe it?
    XO
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Donna,
    I'm popping in from Jill's blog and am a new follower. These look yummy! I've never heard of them. Looking forward to seeing your recipe.
    -Marissa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yum yum yum! I absolutely need to try them! :) Thank you for sharing, I love the story too!
    Many blessings,
    LS, xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mmmmmm! They look delish!!! I'm craving cookies now :)
    Thanks for the story too!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Stopping by from Jill's. They do look very tasty! Nice to meet you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for stopping by! I'm looking forward to this recipe. Following you now.

    ReplyDelete