Cuckoo Buds 3 Column

Friday, November 11, 2011

Veteran's Day - A Day of Rememberance

Today is a day we honor our Veterans with a special holiday, a day we can all say, "Thank you for your service to our Country.  We want you to know how much we appreciate what you have done for us.  Thank you for our freedom, our way of life.  Thank you for your sacrifice.  God bless you."
We lay wreaths and post flags on known grave sites of known American Soldiers all over the world today.  We hold parades, some restaurants still offer a free meal to Veterans and Soldiers in uniform today. 

Something I have done for years is walk up to Soldiers in uniform, extend my hand and thank them personally.  I do this every day of the year, not just today.   If their wives or families are with them, I thank them as well.  I have had more than a few wives cry on my shoulder and hug me after saying, "Thank you, too, for your service to our country.  Many forget the families left behind.  The wives who take on role of both mother and father, left to do all of the chores, raise children, stretch the budget.  YOU keep the home fires burning, encouraging your soldier to go on while in a strange country fighting for our country.  Thank you for playing this important role for my family.  I want you to know how much we appreciate you!  God bless you." 

It's important to me to let these honorable men and women know how much my family and I appreciate them, today and each and every day of the year.

If you are a veteran or service member, a wife or mother of some who has or is serving, "Thank you, thank you for your sacrifice, for all you have done, for all you do for my family and me, keeping us safe, keeping us free.  Thank you for your service to our Country!  God bless you!" 

Blessings,
Donna

2 comments:

  1. VERY well said! I like to do the same and I have taught my daughter to thank all service people too. I wish more people would do so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donna- What a great post! I walked up to one older service man today about 10am in Hobby Lobby's parking lot (he was in his 80s I would guess) and shook his hand and thanked him. He got all choked up and said I was the first person that had acknowledged him so far today. Did my heart good and I am certainly going to do it more often! xo Diana

    ReplyDelete