Cuckoo Buds 3 Column

Friday, June 22, 2012

Grandma, Grandma - Let's Go Harvest!!

Oh my goodness, I can hear her now!  My grandchildren and daughter in law are coming next week to help me celebrate and when she sees the 'fruit on the vine' my little Leila will be grabbing the vegetable basket.  I'll need to get a small one.  Last year she was so disappointed when we took the big garden basket and had two squash and a tomato or two.  She looked up at me, pointed to the basket, and said, "How do we fill it up?  Is there more plants somewhere? This is not a harvest!"

Now - I'm going to show what we have today - and no laughing - it's still a young garden!  And, the plants were itty bitty or seeds - so we've come a long way, baby!
 3 Butternut Squash in the middle, 2 Spaghetti Squash - 1 on each end.



We took out over half of this side lawn to use for garden and trees.  In the background are our 4 Citrus Trees.  We have babied them for over 4 years, and this is their first time out in the elements.

Fruit almost ready on all 4 and new blossoms!  Good signs of being happy!






I know it looks like I may have gone overboard with the squash plants, but last year we had some that just didn't make it.  The weather again this year is crazy!  Near 100 last week - barely  80 tomorrow!  Here are the 2 Zucchini and 2 Yellow Crookneck!  So, I over planted - a little.




Lookie, lookie!!  Our first Zucchini!











And Yellow Squash!



3 Pepper plants - Red, Orange, Yellow.  And, a must, Tomatoes!






The Peach Tree is growing and getting very sturdy.  The new Blueberry looks great, too!  And it even has several of these.  Not enough for a pie, not even for a tart, but enough for Grandpa and Wee One to see if they are tasty!

And the favorite part of our yard ~ ~
Yep!  My Humming Birds!  You know how we love these little guys.  Papa and Mama birds!

Wishing you all a wonderful weekend - be safe, be happy and have lots of fun!!

Blessings,
Donna


6 comments:

  1. Great garden. Mine isn't yeilding much at all so far this year. I will try again with a fall garden, which here in hot Arizona, often will produce more. I am thinking about doing something like you have done with yours so I have "raised gardens" as well. Thanks for the inspiration to improve my garden. Have a great Saturday.
    t

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your garden is great. And!! be still my beating heart, I saw a red tomato and I am on my way to pick it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delightful garden and the words you wrote to go with it. Enjoy little Leila's visit . . .

    ReplyDelete
  4. ΚΑΛΗΜΕΡΑ DONNA ΜΟΥ!!!!ΥΠΕΡΟΧΟΣ Ο ΚΗΠΟΣ ΣΟΥ!!!!!!ΓΕΜΑΤΟΣ ΑΡΩΜΑΤΑ ΚΑΙ ΟΜΟΡΦΑ ΚΑΛΟΥΔΙΑ!!!!!ΚΑΙ ΕΜΕΙΣ ΕΔΩ ΤΟ ΙΔΙΟ ΚΑΝΟΥΜΕ ΦΥΤΕΥΟΥΜΕ ΚΑΙ ΠΕΡΙΜΕΝΟΥΜΕ ΤΟ ΘΑΥΜΑ ΤΗΣ ΓΗΣ !!!!ΕΜΕΝΑ ΑΣΧΟΛΕΙΤΑΙ Ο ΠΑΤΕΡΑΣ ΜΟΥ ΜΕ ΤΟ ΚΗΠΟ!!!!!
    ΜΕ ΤΟ ΚΑΛΟ ΝΑ ΕΡΘΟΥΝ ΤΑ ΕΓΓΟΝΑΚΙΑ ΣΟΥ ΚΑΙ Η ΚΟΡΗ ΣΟΥ!!!!!
    ΝΑ ΕΧΕΙΣ ΜΙΑ ΟΜΟΡΦΗ ΚΑΙ ΧΑΡΟΥΜΕΝΗ ΕΒΔΟΜΑΔΑ!!!!!ΠΟΛΛΑ ΦΙΛΙΑ!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love harvesting from my own garden! My son in law has tried to make it rabbitt proof so I've planted lettuce , beans and peas. In other years when I've had plenty of zucchini and tomToes, I have made lots of ratatouille and frozen it. So lovely in th middle of winter! Enjoy your harvest. Joan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Donna, I am your newest follower! I love your photos of food. I'll invite you to my place, it has some garden shots...ahahahaha Now looking at your post, sooooo pretty. Happy harvesting with the GK's and please come for a visit. You may like to join me, too.

    ReplyDelete