Cuckoo Buds 3 Column

Wednesday, June 13, 2012

A Little Of This, A Little Of That

Yesterday, my Sweetie and I went up to Monterey to meet with friends and colleagues, I did a bit of craft shopping and then out for seafood dinner in Moss Landing, California (half way between Santa Cruz and Monterey).

I love visiting Beverly's Fabrics and Crafts as we don't really have a local fabric shop in town.  When I do get up to the Salinas area, I visit the store.  As I walked in, I noticed they had a few clearance tables set up and I took a quick gander.  The manager, Marilyn, said, "Donna, grab one of those bags and fill it up with anything you want, as much as you can fit in, for only $7.99."  I thought, right, probably worse than junk, as it wasn't the first day of the sale.
7"x11"x13" sized bag
After checking the fabric upstairs, which was a bust this trip on fabric, I again took a look at the clearance tables, and this time, Marilyn handed me the bag and said, "Just look - see if you find anything!" Well, like all of you, among my favorite words are clearance and sale.
At first, I found some buttons, couple of stamp pads, but not much - then Marilyn said, "All these tables."  I asked, "Anything?  As long as it fits?"  "YEP!"

OK Ladies, who know what happens next right?  Now it's almost as if it's a challenge that we fill this bag up with as much junk, I mean stuff, that makes it worth filling up this bag and paying that ginormous price of $7.99!  Challenge on!!  And, let me tell you, I usually get quite a bargain, but this time I honestly hit pay dirt!
I really made out.  When my Sweetie came by to pick me up, he went to grab the bag by the handles and oops - took two hands to pick up my monster bag!  Yep, those pots are terracotta garden pots!  Two are 8 1/2" wide by 7 1/2 high, two are 6" x 5 1/2 and one is 7 x 6 1/2. I nested three in one stack, two in the other.  Then I filled them both with tons of buttons and jewelry parts and pieces.  Put the first one in, stacked the books in on the side, along with the stamp blocks, adding more all around the pots.  The second pot went in on its side with more stuff stacked all around.  Well, I was close to being full, but reminded we needed to meet friends for dinner, so I took my bag and headed to the check out.

Off to Moss Landing.  It's a nice drive along Hwy 1 right next to the Pacific Coast.  The weather was blue skies and clear, but a tad on the chilly side (it is along the coast!)  I always have to get close to the sea animals and take pictures!
I think this is some kind of boat dock or something.  There is a walkway down to the area, but it's locked up tight right now.  These are all male Harbor Seals.  The females are all still in the San Diego area.  My Sweetie walked down with me all the way down to the end, I wanted to see the baby where the big, fat grandpa seal was barking! This walkway is SOLID Harbor Seals!!  Hundreds and hundreds.  I don't know if it was getting close to eating time or because many of us had ventured down closer to them - but they started barking - LOUDLY!
This big guy started barking and the little one fell off!   After several attempts, right up on Grandpa's back.  I don't know why they don't get squished!
They are really piled 4 or 5 seals on top of each other all the was down the dock!  So, all the while we're trying not to step on the sea gull poop to get photos, and these guys stink to high heaven!!  
Then along come the cutest of the ocean critters!  The Sea Otter!! She would come up and rub and roll her hands together like she was washing!  Then dove down and got dinner and a rock and slammed them together! Then she did the entire process again!  I just love them!

So this was my Tuesday!  I had lots of fun, love seeing the Ocean and know how blessed we are to live so close to the Coast!  Oh - I forgot to tell you how much my $7.99 bag would have cost at retail - as near as I can tell.  Some items no longer had the original tag, so I used the sale price that was on them - ready???
A WHOPPING $773.00
plus the bag was $1.99
So, right around $775.00
Not too shabby,
not too shabby at all!

Blessings to all,
Hugs,
Donna

16 comments:

  1. my dearest donna you have mail...what a beautiful set of piccis and that bag..oh my word!!!! i would have loved that experience and my what allot of goodies you managed and it made me chuckle to read how you crammed and flled the bag..thanky ou from the ottom of my heart for all the most wonderfulc omment you left onmy blog nearlly had me in tears..god bless you..love sassyxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. No doubt about it . . . You hit pay dirt! Now the fun begins, what to do with all your treasures!

    Enjoyed seeing/hearing about your observations of the Otter, Seal . . .

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW!! is all I can say. I love bargains and you got a fantastic one!!

    The pics are so good!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got an amazing deal. What a great sale. Wish I could find one like that. I can't wait to see what you do with it all.

      LOVE the seals and otter. That would be a treat to see in person. Thanks for sharing your great photos!

      Delete
  4. that must have been the most exciting experience filling that bag, wow!!!!!


    Love the photos of seals, I have never saw a seal in real life, We do watch the otters though, they are little comedians, you had a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW, you are one lucky gal ... what a gorgeous sale. Looks like you've had a fantastic day. Love the seals and otters. Great shots!

    Hugs,
    Gaby

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow Donna you really did well at that sale. What an amazing discount! I loved looking at the seals. I can't believe how many there were and some lying on top of others. The fishing must be good there. Hope you have a beautiful day.

    xo,
    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW you did good with your bag of goodies Donna! Looks like you and your Sweetie had a wonderful time. Hope you're having a wonderful day, Gail

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMGOSH, Donna! Can you BELIEVE that bag of goodies and the price on the stuff you got? I have NEVER seen anything like it in my life! Those seals are amazing and sea otters are just so darned cute. It sounds like you had a great day with your Honey- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! You sure know how to find a bargain or two Donna! What a wonderful day you had enjoying Monterey and the coast. I have never seen so many seals before.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Donna! Love your new blog look! So soft and pretty!
    That little birdy graphic I used was just one that I have always loved! I didn't even realize it was about birdies leaving the nest!!
    You're so observant!!

    You sure did make out with all of that good stuff! And what a hoot that pile of seals is! Would love to see that in person!

    Hugs to you!
    Hope you have a great weekend!
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, I am your newest follower. We used to live in Central California (Merced area) and spent many, many weekends in the Monterey area. We loved going there. Your story about finding such wonderful bargains in the craft store was awesome! I love to get bargains like that. You did a great job with that. Your pictures of the coast brought back so many happy memories of being in that beautiful area with all of my young children (who are now almost all grown up). Thanks for your lovely blog. I look forward to many more posts!

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW, Donna, this is totally amazing! and I hope you and Don had lots of fun! and I adore those seals--how precious, indeed! You made a total haul at that store--how unbelievable!!!
    XO
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wanna go shopping with you!!! I hope your hubby appreciates your savy shopping.
    About your seals ~ I looked at the pics before I read that part of the story and being from Alabama (and the center part at that and haven't seen ANY kinda beach in atleast 15+ years) I thought the big ones were mamas and the little ones babies and come to find out the papas are babysitting while the mamas are galavanting in San Deigo. There is a whole different story going on there!!!lmao We need to find out how they do that and take notes~ lol
    Glad ya'll had a good time.
    Smiles
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh my sweetest friend!
    I'm so happy you had a wonderful time shopping with your sweetie! I love all those cute stuff, what a great deal, you are awesome!!!
    The photos of the seals and the otters are absolutely gorgeous! I enlarged them again and again to enjoy, I've never seen them in person, lucky you! Thank you so much for sharing these wonderful pictures!!!
    Hope your new week is also fabulous!!!
    Much love and hugs,
    LS xoxoxoxoxoxxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, you DID score!!!! Good for you!

    I just love Monterey!!! My brother is getting married at Asilomar Beach in Pacific Grove in September. Hubby and I will be spending the week there, Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete