Cuckoo Buds 3 Column

Friday, December 9, 2011

HOW COLD IS IT?

Now, please keep in mind, here on the Central Coast of California, we don't get tons of freezing weather like those of you north of our boarder, or east of the Rocky Mountains.  So, when I talk about getting cold and breaking records, I'm not talking about feet of snow or ice sheets - compared to many of you, we're wimps when it gets too cold.

But I couldn't help but share how cold my little hummers have been!

When I first saw the water from the living room window, I thought the mix had somehow gone bad - but this is ice!  Of course the bugs and ants weren't poking their noses out until it warmed up so they were drinking a lot of cold sugar water!
We have been breaking records for our area, freezing nights for the last couple of weeks and more to come.  Low 20's and upper teens. Here in Paso, we're just a tad inland.  We warm nicely to the 50's and low 60's, so we have nothing to complain about!  But we worry about our little bird friends.

It is almost time for us to bring in the feeders and encourage our little Hummingbirds to migrate south, and the Coastal Cousins to hop over the mountain where it stays a little warmer than we during the winter.  If not, they won't survive and we won't have returning birds, new babies and a continuing life cycle.

They say the birds return to the same feeding area each year, which might be why we have so many!  Right now, we've had some real hefty ones, obviously a northern bird migrating south, that need some encouragement to keep flying.  There's nothing worse than going out to the rocks where the feeders hang and finding a little red head on the ground, feet up ~ sniff sniff!

Stay warm, be happy and healthy and thanks for taking a peak - I'll be back later to share some more Christmas decorations I managed to get up and this weekend is a weekend of creativity!  I hope to share lots of what I made on Sunday, Monday and Tuesday!

Blessings,
Donna

4 comments:

  1. Bless your little hummers hearts! I know that's so cold for you but I have to tell you our HIGH today was 2 above. :)

    Can't wait to see your creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, they are so sweet--and I'll bet it's cold for them...It's in the 50s in the day here and I'm freezing and ready for earmuffs! lol

    I am still in the midst of projects here tonight--I was having problems with the printer, so I couldn't make anything until it was fixed...So, now I'm playing catch-up! I'm on because I'm waiting for gel medium to dry so I can finish and then get pics tomorrow.

    (((hugs))) from me,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Donna,
    So nice to meet you! I'm glad you found me through Cindy's blog. I'm following you now, too! I can relate to your weather because I used to live in Sacramento for 17 years! I'm in Ohio now, though, where it gets frigid in the wintertime. I worry about the little birds, too. It's been very cold, but suppose to "warm up" to 40 in a couple of days!
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poor little hummers, that's a cold drink!!!

    ReplyDelete